Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 1-supposedly 1st entry

17th Jan ,Singapore – Flight day

Leaving everyone

I’m really thankful for the people who went to send me! I really felt very loved and treasured. Even though I told myself not to cry and to leave Singapore jolly and enthusiastic to set the mood for the exchange, my mum just HAD to hugged me and tear again, forcing my tears out for the second time that day.


Despite the tears and the goodbyes at the departure gate, the repeated turning back to wave more goodbyes, I had not felt the full magnitude of what it meant to leave the people I cared for. It was until I cleared the self-service custom gate and could no longer see them did the full force of reality crashed on me. It felt really lonely, like I could no longer do the many things that I enjoyed doing with the people I left behind, or that I may never see then again….ever! What was lacking was just some melancholic music to accompany the dramatic emotion I felt. Eye-opening experience, but really kinda scary! Maybe people who know that they’re dying would feel something like this, just to a greater extent. More tears…


Transit at Qatar

So far, security checks required me to take off my boots, which was a hassle! A small advice, when travelling between airports, don’t wear long boots! If you have to, wear one that has some kind of side zipper or Velcro that make it easy to remove.

Everything still did’t seem very USy yet along the journey from the airplane to the customs. Passengers were mostly middle eastern, from DOHA where we transited from, and a couple of Asians.

It was a surprise that there weren’t any security checks when we entered JFK airport, well….thank God there wasn’t! 15 hours of flight time-cum-waiting time was already draining our energy and enthusiasm. The cycle of eating, watching movies then sleeping may sound enticing but not when you’re stuck in a plane, and I really mean butt-stuck to the seat for hours and hours!

At the customs where they chop your passports, the tall, strong-built Caucasian officer at the counter I went to looked stern and intimidating when he said “ how are you?”. I wasn’t too intimidated really…… but was trying not to show any sign of anxiety when I replied “21 years old”. He then raised his voice “ I said HOW ARE YOU”. “Oh, I’m fine”, I just forced a quick smile. I seriously thought I heard wrongly, because hwy would a custom officer ask how am I? I could totally sense the other passengers behind me turning their attention to me....

It was raining instead of the forecasted snow. It was 4 degree Celsius outside the airport, but it felt ok. In fact, more bearable than the 9 degrees when I was in Hongkong! I guess my HORSE JOCKEY-christmas tree suit did a great job keeping me warm! As soon as we exited the arrival hall into the public area at JFK airport, there was an black american man who approached us saying “Taxi? Go school? Where?”. It felt like he was a devil in disguise trying to lure us innocent kids into a trap….scary…

Valerie and I loved our apartment. I has a cottage, homey feel to it, that greatly consoled us who are now miles away from home. First plus point was that the living room was really spacious, furnished with big comfy sofas and a 60 inch LCD TV!!!! How great is that?! Kitchen was very American, with cooking stove, baking oven (YEAH YEAH!), dish washer, huge fridge and more than enough compartments. The toilet was nice too, abit cramped though, but definitely above average!

1 comment: