Tuesday, June 29, 2010

WORKshops finally begins

Finally the workshops for my internship began!

I only found out today that it was us, the group of students who are conducting the workshop. I met the interns who were paid to work for this professor as I was only there to help-the workshop under my professor starts only next week.

I'll be working in the workshops for what they call Boys and Girls club, which functions like a day care centre for needy families in the neighbourhood (mostly blacks). This one that I went today is in Albany while he one under my professor is in Troy. The clubs serve allow parents to leave their children, and off the streets, when they go for work in the day. If you could see for yourself the kinds people on the streets, you would be able to understand why these centres are hope for the children. Like all welfare organizations, this centre on a tight budget and there weren't professionals to conduct classes, only volunteers and voluntarily trained counsellors-who were really just facilitators-cum-discipline masters.

The other interns for the workshop were unprepared in the sense that there really wasn't any lesson plan, apart from and outline that says introduction of program and them exploring the software, or materials to supplement the workshop. Although the software was self-explanatory, given that the students there belonged to needy black families, they were more restless and unmotivated to learn mathematics than normal. The workshop started off with the children looking restless but as Jesse, our leader, started asking them questions and relating what we were doing to everyday life, they children started answering questions and looked more alert.
So it ended of not too badly for the day!

I realized that when it came to mathematics, their foundation was fairly weak, and needed individual attention and guidance. I was able to attend to one of them to teach them about cartesian coordinates, but there were some others who just explored the software aimlessly. And it is really such a pity, because I could see that if they receive more attention, they were willing to think and try. But without guidance, they tend to get restless and eventually not benefit from whatever materials they had in front of them. Still, I see hope for them at the centre, much more than if they are left at home or to wander on the streets.

After the one hour workshop, the rest of the group left while i spoke to the in-charge. I wanted to volunteer to work at the centre on the days that i was free. Since I was there, I felt I should make full use of my time, apart from preparing for FYP. I did think about it previously, but after today, I felt a greater urge to participate more. It's really surprising, because I never felt such a strong need to volunteer. Maybe because it's to do with children, and I see for myself how much potential these kids have if more people could give them attention. Personal, I feel that children are really the ones that deserve all the attention and concern in the world!

After talking to the in-charge, i was about the leave the centre when i saw two boys, about 11 or 12 shooting balls in the centre's indoor basketball court- one of them was in the workshop earlier. I asked if i could join him and i starting shooting too. He was surprisingly welcoming and friendly and we had such a great time even though it's just shooting balls. He even corrected my shooting by asking me to jump more when i made a shot, and i really did better with his advise-he himself proclaimed that he TAUGHT me to get better. He was a great kid, always remembering to take turns, and even gave me extra shots when i almost nailed my 3-pointers. Oh his name is Nicolas, he was an african american, chubby and bubbly!It really brighten my day to know him.

I feel really thankful that I was led to this volunteer experience as i have a feeling that I might have opened a door into the world that belongs to the african americans. It might be only a glimpse to what their life is really like, but it already is a priviledge! Well, I've seen them on the streets and maybe greeted some bus drivers or cashiers, but never engaging them any further. By volunteering here, I may be able to get to know some kids and what difficulties such welfare organizations face, apart from the shortage of volunteers and funds. I know that things might not be all optimistic all the time, but I am prepared to go for this experience and take away as much of it when I leave this place.

I'm really looking forward to the next time i see them! Wish me luck guys!



No comments:

Post a Comment